Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Coffee in my favorite Florida chair

In a white soft leather recliner, that swivels 360 degrees, I'm sitting with my feet up looking out a window at Florida.   Daniel is sleeping in a crazy but happy position in the bed I just got up from. When we travel one of the biggest challenges is where do you put a 16 year old disabled child to sleep.  Gone are the the days of bed rails and  pack and plays.  Usually he sleeps right up next to me.  Because he wants to cuddle up and be close.  Daddy is on a trundle bed at the other side of the room. It's like a camp.  The other kids get to have their own rooms and that's ok.  They are getting older now and need their privacy.

 It never ceases to put a numbing surreal feeling in my brain when I try to envision my future.  It includes the three of us, in this camp, or some other camp, so that I can take care of Daniel.  A far cry from the happy retirees I see down here in Florida enjoying their grandchildren, or just strolling hand in hand down the beach.   Our nest will always include the one baby bird who has no wings.

Florida has become, to me, a place of obsession.  I love the weather, the air, the water, the people.  Handicap spots are plentiful, and people are patient.  Beaches now offer beach wheelchairs, so Daniel can go take a walk down the beach, or just get right up to the warm water of the Gulf of Mexico.  The roads are lined with palm trees and the homes are very solid structures full of ceiling fans, tile, and Florida flare.  Sarah and I walked down to the beach with Daniel last night, I'd say it was about two blocks from this condo we are in.  He smiled and looked with fascination at everything he saw.  It is a far cry from Sandy Hook, CT where we can not walk safely on our own road.  

Coffee tastes better for some reason when I am rocking in this chair looking at some species of palm tree that has grown about 5 feet taller in the 6 or 7 years we have been bring Daniel here to John's cousin's condo.

I don't fear for his health and well being in this place, after all, its Naples Florida. There is a hospital near by, and a doctors office on every corner of some sort.

Sarah and I have been engrossed in episodes of HGTV all week and all I can say is that there isnt a show on that channel that I don't love.  I would just like to see an episode where they have to accommodate for a disabled child.

As my moment of peace is drawing to a close, I will add a few pictures to this post and simply end until later. Daniel has started making his "hey I'm awake in here" sounds, and he needs much care in the morning.  This white leather chair is my very favorite item in this entire condo.  Even if my moments in this place of peace are few, I will say that I thoroughly enjoy them.  Coffee just tastes better in this chair.















No comments: